Work in Norway favoritt ikon

Do you have a foreign education and would like to work in Norway? We have collected information on what you need to think about before you start working.

Residence permit

Most foreign workers require a permit to work in Norway. Different regulations apply for citizens from the European Economic Area (EEA) and citizens from other countries.

Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's residence permit information

Service Centres for Foreign Workers have been established in Kirkenes, Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen and Trondheim. The Service Centres have been established to serve:

  • citizens of the Nordic countries
  • persons covered by the EU/EEA regulations
  • skilled workers and specialists
  • family members and employers of any of the above mentioned groups of people
  • unskilled workers and cross-border commuters from and living in the Barents Region (Kirkenes only)

At the Service Centres you can apply for a tax deduction card, get a D-number as well as obtaining other relevant information.

Service Centres for Foreign Workers

Authorisation/regulated professions

Some professions are regulated by the Norwegian law. This means you have to obtain recognition from the Norwegian authorities of your professional qualifications, before you can start work or use your professional title in Norway.

Many Norwegian professions are not regulated by law, and don't require any recognition. However, if you or your employer would like to recognise an education qualification from a country outside Norway, you can apply for a general recognition.

Some professions require a specific degree. Then you will need to get a specific recognition so that your degree from any country outside Norway can be given equivalent status, which a specific Norwegian degree or professional educational qualification. Psychologists and nurses are examples of such professions.

If you are applying for recognition of a craft certificate or a journeyman's certificate
you are entitled to get an assessment of your prior experience and learning 
( realkompetanse). This comprises all your previous competence acquired through paid or unpaid work, training, education and leisure activities.

More information:

Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT)

Regulations for employees in Norway

As an employee in Norway you are bound by duties and regulations. Working hours, contract, pay, holiday and sick pay are regulated by the law.

Regulations and duties: New in Norway

The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority ensures that employers comply with the Working Environment Act.

The Working Environment Act

NAV Service Centre EURES promotes free movement of workers within the EU/EEA area. You can find information in English on how to apply for jobs and what you need to think about before you start working in Norway.


If you work for a Norwegian employer, you are required to pay taxes on all your earnings in Norway. In order to get paid, you need to obtain a tax deduction card from the tax office or Service Centre for Foreign Workers.

The tax deduction card, which you deliver to your employer, tells the employer how much tax should be deducted before paying your wages. If you do not hand in your tax deduction card to your employer, your employer must deduct 50 per cent of your income.

All Norwegian employees receive a tax return at the end of March/beginning of April for their earnings the following year. You have to check that the pre-completed information is correct, and amend any information if it is incorrect.

More information about tax

Vacant positions

Here are some websites which advertise jobs:

More information

Work in Norway is a website with information for everyone who wants to work in Norway. It has advice and information on how to apply for jobs, working life and relocating. The website is a collaboration between the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV), the Norwegian Tax Administration, the Directorate of Immigration, the Labour Inspection Authority and the Police.